Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a bichon he picked up a stick of .01 % rat poison…

We have a bichon...

We have a bichon he picked up a stick of .01 % rat poison and brought it to us in his mouth and dropped it. About 1 hour ago. No signs of anything at this time. Entire stick weighs 30 grams remaining pieces weigh 24 grams . Do not think the dog ingested less than 7 grams. Should we induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide at this time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the Bichon ate?

Yes we are not sure if he ate it at this time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Bichon?

Bichon is doing fine at this time. We are not sure if we should induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide as preventative measure.

8/19/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did this happen?

Do you think he ate the missing 7grams?

What is the active ingredient that is 0.1%?

The rat poison Bromethalain is the ingredient, we did not see him eat it he carried it to us, we do not know how much or if he ingested any of this.

Hello again,

Now since its Bromethalin, we are best being safe here and inducing vomiting. Even 2.5mg per kilogram of his weight of this toxin can be fatal (it causes brain swelling, seizures, tremors, collapse). So, given our time frame, if it has been <2 hours do induce vomiting now to make sure we don't have any in that stomach or get it back up if we can. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively if its been longer but less then 8 hours, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, Bromethalin is a real problem because it is toxic at such low doses. So, it would be best to induce vomiting now to be safe. Any of those above signs or if he becoming lethargic at all and we'd want him seen urgently to head off any risk of harm.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Our dog threw up twice, we did see small bits, like sand of the rat poison (it was brite green). Thank you I think we have dodged a bullet. I appreciate your advice.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear we got that back up and out since again its just a risk we always want to avoid for them.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.