Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took her to the vet yesterday after she had vomited the

night before. She couldn't stand...
I took her to the vet yesterday after she had vomited the night before. She couldn't stand back legs kept buckling and tremors right through her body, plus laboured breathing. The vet thought she had ingested poison. She was given a drip and blood test showed lowered blood sugar. They administered valium by injection and the tremors gradually lessened, the stopped. I brought her home last night with great difficulty as she was a dead weight. She did eat some minced meat last night and drank water and again today. However she still can not walk or support her weight. She has not passed urine and is still just sleeping. Is there anything else I can do for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She's a 4 yr old staffy cross
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes staffordshire terrier cross
JA: Did you see what the Staffordshire terrier ate?
Customer: No. I suspect a neighbour may have baited her
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Staffordshire terrier?
Customer: No. She's still very sleepy from the drugs, I guess.
8/19/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatments has she been sent home with?

Hoe many hours ago was her last Valium dose?

Does she have any voluntary movement of her legs?

How many hours ago did she last pass urine?

she had her last dose of valium by injection at 5pm yesterday some 27 hours ago. I was given diazepan tablets 5mgs, to use when i got her home if the tremors came back I gave her 2 tablets at 11.30pm
I have tried taking her outside using a towel underneath her belly to support her. her legs just kept collapsing and she did not pass urine I believe she passed urine at the vet surgery yesteday
her front legs seem ok but apart from a few moments when she walked half a dozen steps on her own, she cant stand up or walk.
She hasn't wanted to get up again, since I got her up and took her outside around 5 hours ago

Hello again,

Now with her being on the Valium, its tricky to know if her inability to rise is from the toxins (less likely with the fluids she had), brain swelling (that will need time to settle), or at least in part from Valium itself. So, we do need to be patient and if possible we want to be conservative with the oral Valium. So, if we don't see more tremors, don't give anymore. If it is mild, try a half dose first to see if that is just enough.

Otherwise, we also need to make sure she continues to have movement and feeling in the back legs too since loss of that would raise worries of spinal/brain problems and would require she was urgently taken back to the vets. . So, we need to just monitor closely at this point. Do get her up hourly if you can to see if she will urinate but do be aware that often they urine hold when they don't want to get up to go. But again the same goes for having her reassessed if we don't see urine within 24-36 hours since her being at the vets.

As you monitor, do keep up on feeding her but we can also try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into your wee one and hopefully perk her up for us. And as you do that, keep an eye that her gums stay pink (as pale/white can be a sign of internal bleeding and that too could make her weak and unable to rise).

Overall, we always have these challenges after a suspect toxicity case. You have done everything right but now we have to consider if these signs are residual from the poison or from her Valium taking a toll. So, try to minimize the Valium you give if you can and do keep getting her up to urinate (and you can put gentle pressure on her bladder -between her back legs - to try to encourage her to go). If she isn't becoming more alert and mobile in the 12 hour post the oral dose of Valium or we see any of those above concerns, then we may need her reassessed +/- anti-inflammatories and osmotic diuretics to reduce any brain swelling we could have from what she got into.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian