Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog may have eaten a baby toad or a frog. I'm not sure if

Hi. My dog may have eaten a baby toad or a frog. I'm not sure if she ate it. One minute I saw the frog, next minute I didn't and the dog was right there. She had a few bubbles coming out of her mouth, so I flushed her mouth out. She seems to be acting normally, but I was still concerned.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if May will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?
Customer: We live in Bakersfield, CA. I'm not sure if we have the more poisonous species in our area or not.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did this happen?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About 40 minutes ago. She seems to be acting fine. She's sleeping in my lap right now. She is a 45 pound boxer.

Hello again,

Now the good news is that we don't have any overly toxic amphibians in your area, but either frogs/toads can cause a mild gastritis and drooling from bitter tasting secretions. So, given the time frame, we have a few options.

First you could just induce vomiting to get any frog eaten back up. To do that at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, we can just monitor and further to flushing her mouth you can try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again this doesn't tend to be a risky situation and either option is fine to use for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. Thank you.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to be of help and wish you both the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.