Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keeps having seisures is there anything I can do to

Customer Question
ease them? JA: I'll do all...
my dog keeps having seisures is there anything I can do to ease them?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: my dog has had 4 seisures tonight alone. Is there anything I can do to help him?
JA: Where does Has seem to hurt?
Customer: He gets stiff and starts kicking and twisting and his mouth fills with liquid this all happens in the couple of minutes that the spell lasts
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no it just starts all of the sudden
JA: Is Has eating normally?
Customer: yes as normally as possible
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is Has having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: not that I can tell
JA: How is Has behaving differently?
Customer: I just came out of the hospital myself and haven't noticed anything different
JA: How old is Has?
Customer: 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Has?
Customer: is there anything I can do to ease the situation and possibly stop them from occurring any more tonight?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if he is having more than one seizure or its lasting more than 2 minutes (a risk of brain damage and blindness), then he needs to be moved carefully into the car and to the vet for treatment. There are not safe OTC drugs for seizures and he needs Valium (injectable) or possibly even to be anesthetized if the seizures don't' respond t that. For the moment, all you can do is remove as much stimulus as possible. Keep things quiet, dimly lit and calm. But otherwise to have that many seizures in a short space of time (we treat them if they have even more than one in 6 months), he really needs to be seen urgently before this can lead to permanent damage or him even becoming unable to breathe. And once he is stabilized, his vet can determine if this is from toxins, a brain mass, infection, or bleed and treat that accordingly for him.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I can't get him to a vet. When I got home from the hospital I found my car is dead and won't start

Hello again,

With how limited treatment is and the risk we have here for him, phone the vet and see if they can come for a house visit or even send a nurse to pick your dog up. Else a taxi, neighbour, family, or friend may need to be contacted as this is just one of those emergency situations where there unfortunately are no real home options that can be used to stop those seizures.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian