Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My two year old had pancreatic three weeks ago and iam

My two year old had pancreatic three weeks ago and iam little worry hes still not eatingor moving his bowels

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatment is he on just now?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Is he straining like he needs to pass stool?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
None of this and no meds now

Hello again,

Now if Casey has had pancreatitis so recently and is off food, this raises worries of a relapse. So, we'd want him reassessed by his vet as soon as possible as we need him on anti-nausea medication, gut safe pain relief, appetite stimulants, +/- fluids and antibiotics.

Any delay and you can at least try to counter the nausea putting him off food (so common with this condition even without vomiting) with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try tempting with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Or if he cannot be tempted, then any of these can be blended to make a gruel to syringe feed.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check that he isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure he doesn’t have sunken eyes and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns of relapse here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to counter this though once his vet is open we'd want them dispensing further treatment +/- scanning his pancreas to make sure there is nothing more ongoing (ie pancreatitic abscess) that may need to be addressed for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hes not trowing up hes just not eating hes drinking water
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hes not trowing up and hes drinking lots of water

Hello again,

I did appreciate that but again nausea causes appetite loss even without vomiting. So, with what you have told me, this is still very suspicious for nausea and what we need to be treating. Otherwise, the increased thirst can be a sign of inflammation (common with pancreatitis) or could be a sign of other health issues (ie bladder infection, kidney disease, diabetes, liver damage, etc) but I would hope that his vet has checked bloods and ruled those out.

Best wishes for Casey,

Dr. B.