Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

Our 21 lb. mini-schnauzer (male) is 10 years old and until

Our 21 lb. mini-schnauzer (male) is 10 years old and until the last 3 - 4 weeks extremely healthy and active. We first saw him favoring his front legs and then his back haunches. Went to vet who did find him having a low grade temp and started antibiotics (3 weeks ago) and carprofen for the joint pain. After a week, his temp was OK but he was primarily favoring rear haunches especially in morning. He sometimes appears to almost fall over but after a while he seems to be moving ok, although slowly. 3rd trip to vet he again checked vitals, blood work, and this time recommended carprofen on a continuous basis starting with 25 mg once per day and then back off to every other day. Also, started glucosamine on a daily basis. He's still somewhat stiff but seems better than before. Yesterday, however, we noticed blood around his nose and realized it was on his blanket (which he sleeps on at night). Returned to vet who looked as far up nose as he could (not far) and also checked blood count. Red and white blood cells at low end of normal, so not yet anemic. Recommended a teeth cleaning (sedated) to see if there was any other issues that could be causing the blood loss. Today he did the sedated teeth cleaning and said they look fine. He could see some swelling at the larnyx but no blood there. He also took dental x-rays and could not find any problems. We had also asked him to x-ray the rear hip area which also looks ok. We're looking at continuing antibiotics for the time being but were also advised to possible seek a rhinoscopy which can be done in his office by an outside provider. What do you think we could be missing?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Schnauzer. What is the Schnauzer's name?
Customer: Nicolas. We call him Nicky for short
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nicolas?
Customer: Life I noted, he's been very active up till recently. We expected he would slow down at some point and he had shown some of that, but nothing this drastic all at once. And the blood from the nostril is very concerning

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Did your veterinarian check clotting times on Nicky to make sure his platelets are working correctly ?

When he was examined was the pain evident on manipulation of his joints or was it absent during his exam?

Has your veterinarian done any testing for tick borne diseases ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure on clotting times. Some pain was evident as he examined but it was less than upon initial waking in the mornings.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not sure about tick borne diseases
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nicky is on a monthly flee and tick med
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wouldn't platelet issues manifest in more than one location?

Generalized arthritis (joint inflammation and pain) with a fever and incoordination can be concerning for

1. auto immune conditions

2. Tick borne disease

3. Neurological disease

4. Cancer unfortunately needs to be on this list.

I would recommend getting imaging done on his chest and abdomen so we have a full baseline and make sure we do not miss anything. (chest X-rays and abdominal ultrasound )

I would recommend having his clotting times checked to make sure his platelet function is adequate

Even though he has been on tick prevention I would recommend checking what is called a 4Dx snap test for common tick borne disease

The rhiniscopy can also be considered to try and find the source of the bleeding which can be from a tumor, auto immune disease, or platelet dysfunction

I would also recommend considering a referral to an internal medicine specialist if we do not get our answers with a full baseline as this could be something more difficult to diagnose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank You

Unfortunately it sounds like Nicky is not going to be an easy diagnosis. With his bloodwork and x-rays to date we have ruled out a bunch of disease but now we have to dig a little deeper

Good luck with Nicky I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I was looking for a second opinion without physically taking Nicky to another vet. You've solidified my confidence. Thank You!

You are very welcome good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Meghan Denney
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dr. Denney - thank you for following up. We are continuing on an antibiotic (doxycyline) and he is responding great. He is acting like his old self. We are also giving him glucosamine; there have been no more no bleed episodes and his joints seem to be a lot better as well. We are not currently giving him the carprofen per his vet's directions. We're giving him a week and then going to follow up with his vet. But so far he is back to his old self. Go figure? Thank You again for your help and your following up. Ron . (BTW, I rated you 5 stars! :-))

I am so glad to here this and thank you for the rating