Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is about 15. She stopped eating her easily digestible kibble food... needed to be coaxed and still was reticent to

Customer Question
She is about 15...

She is about 15. She stopped eating her easily digestible kibble food... needed to be coaxed and still was reticent to eat. This happened 6 -9 months ago as well but also back then had diarrhea and vomiting. We went to vet (closed today) and she checked her out. She pout her on Hills prescription diet i/d digestive care. Gradually we got her on the NutriSource rice formula. Tjat worked well until the last week or two when she started vomiting sometimes. So we feed her small portions. But she still was refusing to eat sometimes. The last two days I got more of the hills food but now she has vomitted it up. A large amount. Probably most of yesterday's sand today's. I don't know what to do. We leave town tomorrow for ten days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Maggie. She it's about 48 pounds. Mixed breed dalmatian. She has Somme cognitive declines and hip issues. She's mostly deaf.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

She was able to take her morning walk of about 3/4 to 1 mile. Seemed okay. Can no longer Erin our jump. Run or trot.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Who will be caring for her when you're gone?
2) Is she on any medication at this time?
3) When was bloodwork last run?
4) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

1.Experienced pet sitter who has known her for years.
2. No medicine at this time.
3. Last blood work was several years ago.
4. I switched her from NutriSource Lamb and rice dry food to Hills I/D digestive care canned as she was not eating as well and had stopped eating in the morning. She was on the hills food about 9 months ago. I did mix it 3/4 canned to 1/4 dry.
On addition this evening I fed her 2 small (at most 1/4 cup) dry NutriSource. She has slept most the evening although seemed to pass gas (not typical). She urinates regularly. Last bowel movement this a.m. it is possible she ate some trash, but i think i caught her beforehand. Not positive.
In three a.m. I thought I'd try more of greet regular food. I only tried to go to the Hills food because she was getting finicky and not eating. vet agreed and let me get some.

With the persistent issues, I would urge you to have bloodwork run especially given her age. Once dogs reach their senior years we do recommend bloodwork every 6-12 months depending on their health. Ailments like liver disease, kidney disease, pancreatitis, diabetes, etc. can cause a pet to avoid their food and have intermittent vomiting.

To help with the vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This may give her a stronger desire to eat for you, as well, particularly if she's experiencing some nausea. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

If she's not vastly improved by morning with these instructions, I'd go in for a recheck and bloodwork. The fact that she may have come in contact with trash raises the risk of pancreatitis substantially, as well. Your vet will likely want to run a CBC, chemistry, electrolyte and pancreatic enzyme profiles.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion feeling today?