Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5yr old, 12lbs poodle mix suddenly arched his back and…

Hi there. My 5yr...

Hi there. My 5yr old, 12lbs poodle mix suddenly arched his back and his head is shaking. He looks confused. Losing his balance. Body is trembling. It has been going on for 2 mins

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name and age?

Marty Phillips, 5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the poodle's name?

Marty Phillips

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the poodle?

No. healthy dog

Trembling and head shaking has just stopped. He seems spacey. Not laying comfortably.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/17/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

The signs you are describing can be associated with back/neck pain or potentially abdominal discomfort.

Has he been eating and drinking normally recently? Any signs of vomiting or diarrhea?

Hi there,
Marty has been eating and drinking normally. He did have signs of an unknown back injury late last year/early this year. Very tense and showing pain when back touched. The vet prescribed him steroids and it cleared up. No signs of any pain since. I just took him on a walk and he was running and jumping like normal.

I would be concerned the signs you were describing could be a muscular spasm or an acute pain response and if he has had a similar episode earlier in the year that would raise my suspicions further. If this is becoming recurrent it may be worth considering imaging of his back/lumbar spine to assess for any problems with his vertebrae/spinal column, such as xray/ct/mri scanning.

Does he seem 100% back to his normal self now?

he seems 100% back to his normal self now. I was worried he was having a stroke. It doesn't sound like that to you?

Dogs don`t have strokes in the same way humans do. They do have episodes of vestibular disease which can have very similar signs, but this is generally in older dogs. This sounds much more like an acute pain response, a back "twinge" if you like, almost like having a trapped nerve, which has now passed.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you ever so much for your help. I have peace of mind now after speaking with you.
One more thing... in your experience, do you think he could always be in pain and not showing it? Moving forward, should I limit the amount of off leash time he has? He is jumping in and out of the car, could that have anything to do with this?
I will monitor him and take him to the vet for an examination.

Jumping in and out of the car, running up steps, jumping onto furniture, can all be triggers for these signs. If he is having recurrent episodes it is an indicator of a problem that needs investigating, rather than overly restricting him in case he has an issue. If he is behaving normally, shows no signs of lethargy and is keen to exercise I doubt he is in chronic pain. If he does seem to be showing signs of slowing down, reluctance to exercise, stiffness on rising or dragging his feet, these would be indicators of a chronic problem.

Richard Rawling
Thanks again for your help. You've been great!
Take care, Dr. Rawling.Kyla and Marty

You are very welcome,

Best Wishes Kyla and Marty,

Richard.