How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Rawling Your Own Question
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 731
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Richard Rawling is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my 9lb chihuahua terrier mix ate one 5,000iu bit d

This answer was rated:

I think my 9lb chihuahua terrier mix ate one 5,000iu bit d capsule. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Clyde, he will be 5 in November
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Chihuahua?
Customer: No he's healthy

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Am I correct in understanding he ate a 5000IU Vitamin D capsule?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not 100% sure, he might have
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to know if he did eat a 5,000iu vit3d caps, with him being 9.5 pounds should I be concerned

Vitamin D toxicity can be very serious and that would be a significant amount for a small dog to ingest. As the ingestion was several hours ago, there is little benefit to inducing vomiting at this stage. I would recommend having him checked over by your vet as vitamin D toxicity can have serious implications for your dog.

Signs that the overdose may cause include vomiting, depression, increased thirst and urination, blood in vomit, dark tarry feces, bleeding disorders, constipation, abdominal pain and muscular tremors. High levels of vitamin D can affect blood calcium levels which are important in regulating the contraction of the heart, so low heart rate (bradycardia) can be serious also.

I would recommend you get him checked over by your vet.

Richard Rawling and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Gina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling