Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My maltese ate half a maggot in the park today - I was able

to get part of it...
my maltese ate half a maggot in the park today - I was able to get part of it out of her mouth. Will this harm her? what shall I do? It was awful.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your Maltese will be able to digest that. What is the Maltese's name and age?
Customer: Peaches. will be 11 October 28, 2017
JA: What is the Maltese's name?
Customer: Peaches
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Maltese?
Customer: she has eaten worms on the sidewalk a few times when I didn't catch her in time.
8/17/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

of course.

I understand that you are concerned, and disgusted, that your pup Peaches ate part of a maggot in the park today.

While certainly not appetizing to us maggots are larvae, and those are almost pure protein, so dogs would see that as a delicious delicacy. I would not recommend that dogs eat maggots, but part of one will not be an issue and should be broken down easily by her stomach acid.

It is possible that Peaches will have stomach upset from eating something rich and different, but this won't hurt her.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can reply via this venue and ask any follow-up questions and I will be happy to respond to them here.

Thank you. Peaches also eats worms from the sidewalk if I don't catch her first. Should I treat her for worms? Is there an over-the-counter brand of worm medicine that I can give her to get rid of the worms?
RE:peaches. I have not seen worms in her stool as of this date. But still would like an over the counter medication I can give her for worms if she does get them. Thank you very much for your reply.
Peaches is 10 lbs. and I put Hartz Ultraguard flea and tick prevention on her from a tube down the middle of her back. It is effective. Does she need a worm preventative of some kind that you would recommend?

Hartz Ultraguard flea and tick prevention kills fleas and ticks, it is NOT a wormer.

Most gastrointestinal parasites are not visible to the naked eye, so just because you don't see them in the stool doesn't mean your dog is clear.

The two exceptions are roundworms (the adults look like spaghetti, but are not commonly passed in stool), and tapeworms (look like grains of rice). Both of these are big enough to be seen in the stool

No wormer gets all parasites. I generally recommend that dogs be given a heartworm pill that has a wormer too, like Heargard Plus or Sentinel. If you do that then many of the common worms will be covered.

Or you can choose to use a broad spectrum wormer like Drontal Plus every 4 months. This is a prescription product though.

Over the counter wormer pyrantel kills hookworms and roundworms, which are the most common worms picked up from the environment.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started
Thank you, Dr. Kara. You are most helpful and my mind is relieved. I will get the Heartgard Plus or Sentinel tomorrow and give it to her. Warm regards, ***** *****
Dr. Kara, I will be in touch when other matters with Peaches come up.

Hi My name is***** have been trying to call you on the phone as requested but I am getting your answering service.

I will try again in 5 minutes.

Regards,

Dr Scott

DR. SCOTT - NO NEED TO CALL ME. Dr. Kara answered my question and gave me advice that I will follow as I indicated when I replied back to her. I don't know why you were contacted and am sorry for that as I had already replied that I was taking her advice.

No problem whatsoever, I will be glad to cancel the phone call.

Good luck with Peaches.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian