Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 2 year old Schipperke who vomitted twice last

night. and 4 times...
I have a 2 year old Schipperke who vomitted twice last night. and 4 times this afternoon. Thought he had an upset tummy from eating grass. Fed him rice for dinner, so far thats fine. but he now has a swollen face.. wondering if 2 are related or if he ate a bee outside
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Schipperke will be able to digest that. What is the Schipperke's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Schipperke?
Customer: He also ripped open a bag of Flour yesterday. Unsure if he ate any
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Bear has this problem, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot be 100% sure over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the face area on a dog including the eyes, lips and nose is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog, an itchy skin with hives or bumps elsewhere on the body may also develop as time goes by. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite or sting of some kind. While sometimes quite spectacular this is rarely a serious condition. By the way this would not normally be related to his tummy upset.

2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK.
However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

3. But if your dog deteriorates at all, or there are other symptoms other than the facial swelling and itchy skin or it does not quickly resolve then you should have your local vet check your dog over ASAP. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bear's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you very much! We will monitor him throughout the night. but his face does seem to have already gone down some from earlier.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian