How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19290
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested a tissue that i used to remove my nail

This answer was rated:

my dog ingested a tissue that i used to remove my nail polish with it had nail polish remover and nail polish on it. he is a 30-40 lb cavalier king charles spaniel. i don't know what to do/ how it will affect him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will be able to digest that. What is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's name?
Customer: Leo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: not that i can think of he eats stuff off the ground and outside all the time he recently in (may) had issues going the bathroom because he swallowed something hes 8 years old

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Leo. Was this just a single Kleenex that had some nail polish remover in it with the nail polish taken off some nails in it too? How long ago did this happen?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it happened about 15 min ago and i had used the single kleenex about 2 hours ago
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we gave him some milk as suggested on another users answer about a similar issue to dilute the acetone

Alright. The ingestion of this single Kleenex with the nail polish remover in it and the nail polish itself hopefully shouldn't be that worrisome of a situation. I would be much, much more worried if the actual bottle had been spilled and he was licking up the liquid itself. The amount in the Kleenex shouldn't be enough to cause a toxicity situation. The acetone can be corrosive to the tissues, so the milk is a good idea. I wouldn't do any more as it can cause some to have some intestinal issues. Now, the best thing would be to let him have some food to help bulk up his ingesta to help things pass through. Vomiting isn't good with this acetone as it can irritate on the way up and the worst would be if it was aspirated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much this was very helpful

I hope all goes as well as it should. Hopefully Leo can stay out of any more possible trouble.

Dr. Bruce and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i hope so too