Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog hurt her back this morning and we went to our vet this afternoon. She had an analgesic injection and started on

She hurt her back...

She hurt her back this morning and we went to our vet this afternoon. She had an analgesic injection and started on prednisone. She is "loopy" from the injection but has been panting since we got home, around 3:30pm. Respirations over 100, about 110-120 a minute. I am concerned. No vet open nearby, emergency vet 50 miles away.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sorry about that. 14 lb poodle mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the poodle?

She hurt her back this morning and we went to our vet this afternoon. Had an analgesic injection and started on a steroid regimen. She is " loopy" from the injection but has panted since we got home, around 3:30. Respirations around 112-120 minute but gums and tongue pink. I am concerned

8/17/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Sorry to hear your Poodle is uncomfortable, the chances are that the high respiratory rate you are noting is down to stress either from continued or increasing back pain or maybe the injection hit a sensitive spot and is causing discomfort as well. Also none of these drugs act instantly so it could still be eight hours or so before your dog starts to get relief.

2. The best thing to do here is just to try and reassure your dog as much as possible and keep her as still as possible and see how things go, it is possible she will still settle. However in the face of marked deterioration all you can do is to have a vet check her over again ASAP.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Poodle's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

4. Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you.
Bobbi

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian