Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got bitten by a dog on her left top corner of her eye…

My dog got bitten...

My dog got bitten by a dog on her left top corner of her eye and it's swollen. I cleaned it and put polysporin on it and I also put a cold compress on her eye.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

She bled a little. I put a cloth on it with some water

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

Well she has just returned home today from the vetenarian due to having pancreatitis

8/17/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- When was she bit, today?

2- Is she squinting the eye?

3- Is the swelling around the eye or within the eye?

She was bitten around 6:30 pm. She is not squinting her eye. She is sleeping now. And the swelling is around the eye

To make sure I got this right, it is the skin around the orbit, correct?

No. I rather text to you please. Thank you
it's on the skin close to the cornet of her eyye

Please disregard the phone request this is sent by the website automatically, not me. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Friend, it sounds like the swelling you are seeing is a soft tissue injury secondary to the pressure that is exerted by the teeth during a bite; this is common. I would recommend having your vet examine the eye to make sure everything is okay. In the meantime, you can apply cold compresses around the swelling for 5 minutes 3-4 times a day. Flush the wound with plain water then apply topical polysporin; do this 2-3 times a day.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Ok. I have done this already. But I will continue to do this tomorrow morning. She is sleeping now. Is it ok to give her some eye drops that was precribed to my dog before because she had ulcers in her eye and my vet told me that her eye issue would be an in going thing. He said when her eyes get red to use it. The eye drops is called maxitrol. Is this an antibiotic?

No, maxitrol has a topical steroid and could make certain things worst if the actual eye has any wound. So, just continue treating the skin as you have been doing.

Maxitrol is a combination of antibiotic and steroids.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Ok thank you Dr. Peter

You're welcome. :)