Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well alot not sure what is going on she pooped normal at 6…

Customer Question
Well alot not sure...

Well alot not sure what is going on she pooped normal at 6 am but by 430 she has very watery poop in her cage and that lasted till about 8 and hasn't gone since

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she will be a year on September 7th

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Allie?

Well she just vomited water but it smelled like fish

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Allie eat anything unusual?

No the only thing different than normal we go to a special dog store for her food well they have these beef stick things every once and a while we get them for her and never had this issue

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

she also is acting normal jumping not what a sick dog would be or I would think

Hello again,

It is very encouraging that she is otherwise acting normally so hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below. But be aware that this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting and diarrhoea in the dog which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs..

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Allie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

could a stomach bug cause like blood nothing else it was straight blood like water nothing else but blood not alot but enough then another one was blood with tarnish watery poop plan on taking her to the vet

This is possible, but as I said it is encouraging that she is still acting normally.

If these symptoms continue then taking her to the vet is always an option, but I will be about online to advise you further if necessary for a good few hours yet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Allie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her gastroenteritis symptoms ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

took her to the vet they gave her some medicine and put her on a bland diet and neg. to parvo

Very encouraging she is negative to parvo ...

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian