Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Chihuahua Pomeranian mix has a cough he has been coughing…

My Chihuahua Pomeranian mix...

My Chihuahua Pomeranian mix has a cough he has been coughing since last night he is about 13 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Chabaca

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Chihuahua?

He needs never been neutered he was a rescue dog and when I got him they said he was to old to neuter

8/17/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is he coughing anything up? Is he coughing only when he is active?

Okay thanks for the additional information. How long have you had him for? Does it sound like a goose honk? With his age and his breed a couple of issues cause this coughing. One issue that can occur is a collapsing trachea. This is when the windpipe collapse everytime they get excited. Another issue is a heart issue which can be common in chihuahua as well. This can be diagnosed with a physical exam and chest x-rays.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne