Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

6 year old cocker spaniel just lost her first tooth in the…

6 year old cocker...

6 year old cocker spaniel just lost her first tooth in the front top part of her month not sure if that is normal and I don't have money to take her to vet especially for her month dental in dogs are so expensive

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Cocker Spaniel?

She has never lost a tooth before and I find it strange that she lost it now at 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Cocker Spaniel seem to hurt?

She lost the small tooth in the top part of her month next to her fangs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

She doesn't have any swelling she just keeps licking since the tooth fell out

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Cocker Spaniel's name?

Mikka

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mikka?

She is up to date with her shots and healthy 23lbs

8/17/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Hello Dr. Kara, I am Erika Mikka owner

The short answer is no, it is absolutely not normal for an adult do to lose teeth.

Dogs, like people, lose their deciduous (baby) teeth before adulthood. Most deciduous teeth fall out by 7-9 months of age.

From your description I suspect that Mikka lost an incisor tooth. These are small teeth found in the front of the mouth, top and bottom. They are used to grasp things (food, toys). This is a link to a picture of a dog's upper 6 incisor teeth: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEj-rcxtM9W2-yl26WJdbH637tR5Ui-fSqTENv0No72ybbFMQYjw

They have fairly long roots, and most of the time if they fall out a section of root is left behind in the jaw. I suspect that may be why she keeps licking the area.

Here is a link of a radiograph of a dog's lower jaw showing how long normal incisor roots are: http://www.thepetdentist.com/300/6%20x-ray%20showing%20infection%20around%20root%20tip%20of%20left%20lower%20canine%20tooth.jpg

They can be broken by overzealous play, especially tug of war play. Or the roots can become loosened by overcrowding and/or a collection of tartar and secondary gum damage.

I know that dental care is expensive, but if there is a root fragment that is painful for your pup and predisposes to developing a jaw infection. If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.
If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state
Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

Your girl really needs veterinary care. Oral infections often spread via the bloodstream to other organs and can lead to chronic systemic infections.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Ok thank you I will reach out to my local animal shelter since I am currently a volunteer there and see if they can help with low cost. Thank you I have another dog a miniature pinscher 9years old who last year had dental cleaning and I am still paying that bill that is why I was concerned when my 6year old cocker spaniel lost a tooth because I know how expensive it can be but I try my best with cleaning their teeth on my own guess I did not try hard enough. I will also look up those links you send me for help with low cost care. Again thank you Dr. Kara

You are very welcome, my best to your pup. Please let me know how things go for her.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian