Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 14 year old beagle who just today started having a

I have a 14 year old beagle who just today started having a hard time walking, his starts walking and they his back end starts to go sideways and his leg seems to give out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Carmy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Carmy?
Customer: no he is usually very alert and follows us every, and seems really happy. Today he is seems sad, he was happy to get a bone and he ate it. He's drinking water fine. We did take him for a walk yesterday but he seems just normal last night after the walk. I thought he might have strained it, it might have been humping a pillow or his dog bed last night.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Prior to this happening did he have problems getting up from the floor or going up stairs?

2- Is he arching his back?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Did he get into anything?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. No
2. No sure
3. No
4. I have not noticed anything he could have gotten into, so I would say no
5. No

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see a quick onset of loss of motor function to the back legs this could be secondary to a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. In other words, a disc is putting pressure on the spinal cord and interfering with the nervous input to the back legs. Other possible causes could be arthritis of the hips, or weakness secondary to a systemic disease.

In this case, unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can if this is related to a pinched nerve the sooner medical treatment is started the better the prognosis. If you have access to ER vet I would have him checked by ER veterinarian. If related to a pinched nerve he will be started on prescription anti-inflammatory medication. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did some looking around online that that's what I keep getting. Thank you very much for your time.