Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a dog, about 10 years old. And she has some problem…

Hi I have a dog, about...
Hi
I have a dog, about 10 years old. And she has some problem with her ears. See attached photo. It looks like it is not painful for her but - is it OK? Perhaps because of old age. Or can we help her?
P.S. Also, sometimes, there are some flies sitting on her ears.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/16/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry Lessi has this going on with her ears. It is concerning because there are multiple causes of the changes to the tips of her ears that require treatment or can progress to more serious issues. For example, a thyroid condition, an immune mediated condition, or even a heart issue can cause these changes and the flies are attracted by the smell (even if not noticeable to you) that means a meal/ feeding for them

So I would strongly urge a veterinary exam to rule out the potential causes of this change and hopefully begin appropriate therapy and minimize risk of progression to ear damage but also overall health issues as this continues

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Could you recommend some ointment or something else, before we visit vet?

The areas need to be scrubbed and the debris, scabbing removed so it can heal. A topical would not be effective to get this resolved even if it is a localized infection. You can get the area moistened with a dog shampoo, for example an oatmeal based shampoo and leave it on for 10 minutes then use a moist towel to remove as much as you are able once it has soaked in

If needed you can use a 1% cortisone cream on the area in a thin layer after the scabbing is removed but my concern again is this is more systemic and not a topical issue. The ears have the least amount of blood supply and why frostbite effects them first so when there is an issue with blood supply (immune mediated, thyroid for example) it will be quickly effected by this process

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian