Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 34 kilos Rottweiler is constipated and I was advised to…

My 34 kilos Rottweiler is...
My 34 kilos Rottweiler is constipated and I was advised to give him 1 Senokot tablet. Please advise if this is correct.
The tablets have the following ingredients
Active ingredients
154mg of Senna fruit equivalent to 7.5mg of Sennoside B.
Ingredients
Active ingredients: 154mg of Senna fruit equivalent to 7.5mg of Sennoside B.Other Ingredients: Calcium phosphate, Maize starch, Lactose and Magnesium stearateMany thanks
8/16/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Senokot can be useful, but is often not enough with more severe cases of constipation. If Romulus is genuinely constipated then giving food grade mineral oil or lactulose if it is available in your country can both be very effective. For a 34 kilo dog I would recommend a dose of 10ml mineral oil twice daily. If he is eating well you can mix this with his food, or you can give it directly into his mouth ( as long as he swallows it).

Many thanks for your reply. I live in The Gambia West Africa and can only find liquid paraffin oil - would that help?

Liquid paraffin would be a good substitute if it is available to you. In this case I would start with 5ml twice daily, if you are seeing little response try 10ml twice daily. If you give too much, you will simply make her stools too soft.

Thanks a lot & I have also remembered that I brought a bottle of lactulose last year from the UK. So hopefully we are OK.

Excellent. Hopefully you guys are seeing some improvement from here.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Richard Rawling
Hi Hanna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Romulus. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling