Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 yr old Westie is raing here head upand stifing the air,

Customer Question
and slowly moving her head...
My 7 yr old Westie is raing here head upand stifing the air, and slowly moving her head up and down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Westie's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 5 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

Let me clarify what is going on, Lily is starring up in space and bobbing her head?

Is she licking or moving her mouth at this time?

If you speak to her does she respond?

Joan

she is sniffing the air and nodding her head up and down slowly, once in awhile she licks the air. She is responsive. She does this from time to time , just wondering if I should be concerned.

Thank you! What you are deascrining and what I suspect is what we see in a Partial Complexre. These can come and go. Seizures are caused by abnormal electrical disturbances in the brain. occur when this electrical activity remains in a limited area of the brain rather an affecting the whole brain and causing a Gran Mal seiure. This is some information on Partial Complex Seizure: https://www.vetinfo.com/partial-seizures-dogs.html The partial complex seizure causes starnge abnormal behavior behavior like what you have described. What I suggest is to video this behavior and take it into your Vet to see. The can do some blood work and seeif there is an underlying factor or if it is idiopathic as in an undefined cause..

Please hit reply to discuss this information, I will be here all evening.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech