Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pup keeps blowing air out his nose...not really a sneeze,

My pup keeps blowing...

My pup keeps blowing air out his nose...not really a sneeze

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bruno age 8 just clear liquid in nose too

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He is more lethargic today - does not want to go on his normal 1.5 mile walk

8/16/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Has he had any sign of a cough?

not that i am aware of- he is not coughing

Does he seem well in himself? Is he breathing normally?

not real interested in his normally 1.5 mile walk..but when the doorbell rang he seemed normal with his running like mad to the door. yes he is breathing normally

Does he seem congested?

no his nose has clear liquid around the edges - he does not seem to be congested

Is he breathing normally?

just pushing out air through his nose A LOT

More than with normal breathing?

sounds like he is constantly sneezing but it is not a real sneeze if you know what i mean
about 5-10 times in 10 minutes or so

Is it more of a snort?

nope no snorting
literally like a tiny half sneeze

It can be due to a mild upper respiratory tract infection. Often these signs can be viral in origin from infections such as para-influenza virus. The signs should be self limiting as his immune system fights off the virus. The important thing to consider, especially in a younger dog, would be to ensure he does not struggle with a secondary bacterial infection, so if you see any change in the color or nature of his nasal discharge, if he goes off his food or develops a cough, I would advise having him checked over by your vet as he may benefit from a course of antibiotics.

Thank you. He was just at the kennel shoo maybe he picked something up... But he has all his shots so was thinking it was not that.

If he is vaccinated for kennel cough, you can often see mild signs such as this if he is fighting something off, but the signs should be mild and transient.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Richard Rawling
ah i see. Perfect. thank you so much for your help. very helpful

you are very welcome.

Best Wishes,

Richard.