Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

EMERGENCY! Just realized my dog ate my hole bottle of

Customer Question
piroxicam 20mg anti inflammatory meds...
EMERGENCY! Just realized my dog ate my hole bottle of piroxicam 20mg anti inflammatory meds most likely atleast 25 and I found 2 in the dog room so prolly 20 to 23 of them. I believe it was yesterday wile I was at work. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary other then possible loss of appetite. But worried shitless!!!! Should I go to the vet now?!?!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Since this carries some serious risk (GI upset, stomach ulcers, kidney damage), we need to act fast. Now if it had just happened, we'd want to be inducing vomiting and using activated charcoal; but if this was yesterday then he would have absorbed any he ate. Therefore, being proactive now would be ideal. We want him checked for an ulcer or reduced kidney function and may need his vet to use IV fluids to flush any drug in his system out. Furthermore, we'd want them to put him on anti-nausea medication, gastroprotectants to protect his stomach +/- appetite stimulants. That way we can try to support his body and head off any ulcer risks.

Any delay and we'd want him on an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). This will reduce stomach acid to reduce ulcer risks but also help with any nausea putting him off food. Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. After we can feed small meals of a light diet (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder) often to make sure his stomach isn't empty and at more risk of ulceration due to the overdose he has given himself.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian