Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My almost 13-year-old collie has had several strokes. The

My almost 13-year-old collie has had several strokes. The first couple left her confused and she could not see after the second one.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the collie?
Customer: She came back from the first two strokes. She had a third one last Friday and now she is paralyzed in her back end. What are the chances she will come back from this second stroke?
JA: What is the collie's name?
Customer: Darcy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Darcy?
Customer: She has lived a very healthy life. A year ago she did start leaking urine at night and she has been on Proin. Otherwise she has been fine. However after each stroke she does not eat or drink for a few days.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this......it sounds like your dog has had fibrocartilagenous embolism.....this is really the only type of stroke that dogs have......when FCE's occur over and over then the prognosis becomes much worse. Hopefully you have taken your dog to see your vet? If not, please do.......FCE's usually will recover but sometimes they do not.......please let me know if you have any other questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).
Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Thank you...let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B