Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog ate a friends rawhide. I never give them to him.

My dog ate a friends rawhide. I never give them to him. Today his stool is bloody and mucas. He hasn't eaten all day. But he is acting fine. Do I need to take him to the vet or watch him for one more day?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Paddy he is 11.5
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Paddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paddy?
Customer: He is on enapril and has allergies to chicken. But he is otherwise in excellent shape. He went for a long walk yesterday and played harder than he has in about 6 months with a younger dog. He does have a sensitive stomach

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Paddy is having this problem.

It is most likely a bad upset stomach from the rawhide.

Is he vomiting at all? Does he seem painful?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, he is not vomiting and he does not seem painful.

That is good news. This is likely just a bad gastroenteritis. It will take a little time to improve.

You can give a single 2mg Loperamide (immodium) tablet to stop the diarrhea. I would get him started on omeprazole 20mg once a day to help with upset stomach. I would also get him on some fiber such as canned pumpkin about 1/4-1/2 a can twice a day. This should help get things under control. If he starts vomiting, I would take him to the vet to get checked out. Give him his normal food and no other foods at this time.

I would also rest him for a few days, no vigorous activity, just small short walks to urinate and defecate until he is doing better.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** good to know. Can I give him pepcid AC? I am not sure what omerprazole is...

omeprazole is prilosec. You can give either that or pepcid AC. I would give 10mg of pepcid AC twice daily if you have that. It is also a little bit cheaper than prilosec.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok great..along with the ammonium. I will go get him some. Thank you v much!

You are very welcome.

I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great night!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is slowly recovering. Thank you very much...!!!

I am so glad to hear that!