Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a rat terrier, 16 years old. Started having blood in

his urine 2 days ago...
I have a rat terrier, 16 years old. Started having blood in his urine 2 days ago. Walks as if his sides hurt and has no appetite. I have been giving him some chicken broth by mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: A wound on their foot? I don't understand
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: What does a wound on the foot have to do with blood in the urine and not eating. Just sleeping all day.
JA: What is the Rat Terrier's name?
Customer: Bernie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bernie?
Customer: I worried his age may be a factor. When he was younger he used to have seizures. But I can only court 3 or 4 times that occurred in his whole life.
8/15/2017
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. Blood in the urine could be a variety of things. I think the first thing to know is how well he is urinating? If his urine is coming out in spurts as opposed to a stream, he may have something blocking his urinations which can be an emergency. Is he neutered?

Right now the blood in the urine has stopped, with the exception of once yesterday. He goes to the bathroom normal. When I say normal, the color looks normal and it is a steady stream. When the bleeding started, the blood had some masses or deposit in it. Maybe coagulation of blood, I'm not sure. The first thing I did was give him some turmeric and a little apple cider with water. That's when the bleeding stopped for a bit. He is not eating much right now. I have been using a eye dropper to feed him chicken broth over the last 24 hours. Yesterday he had a little bit of the shakes, I'm guessing he was nauseas. He acts as if his sides hurts sometimes. But I can't if he really hurts or if he is just weak.
He does have a wound inside his ear. I don't see a tick or insect.

I think the things that need to be ruled out are bladder or kidney infection, prostatic enlargement (infection vs. tumor) bladder stones or bladder tumor. If it seems like his sides are sore, it may be a kidney infection. Typically, if I have an older patient come in with similar symptoms I will start with an exam, urine sample and x-ray. If he is seen by his Dr., he may be put on some pain medication as well until the urinalysis comes back from the lab. Has he been seen by his vet yet?

He has not been seen yet. Won't the pain medication just make his lack of appetite worst? How long does such test take?

The pain medication will just help him feel better until his tests can be sorted out. Sort of if you hurt your back and took some pain meds until you could get to the Dr. or get a diagnosis. Typically an x-ray will be assessed right while you are in the office and a urine sample will be back in 24 hours. To make it easier, I would bring a urine sample to the visit if you are able.

May I ask about your question about the foot wound? I don't think he has one, but would the possible bug bite in his ear be the same thing?

of course, it looks like the moderator asked about a foot wound.... Maybe when they saw you write blood, they assumed a wound?? Not sure. Does the bite in the ear look like a little raised area or his the whole ear flap swollen...?

I'll see if I can get a picture.

any luck?

The fleshy area in the canal looks like a growth. May be a benign polyp.

I guess my next step is a visit to the doctors office.

So, I have to start my afternoon appointments. Please let me know if you have any more questions, I check back in at night. Even after the vet visit, if you have questions or need something clarified, I can help. Have a great day and hope all goes well!

Dr. S

Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
thank you
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian