Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I've already taken her to the vet and she is on prednisone…

Customer Question
I've already taken her...

I've already taken her to the vet and she is on prednisone and Enrofioxacin as her ankle is swollen. The vet worked her leg around and the knee and ankle and doesn't think anything is broken but she is limping and this has been going on for about two weeks.........the swelling in the ankle just found last thursday and that's when she went on the antibiotic and prednixone.....but I think she is in pain too and she has nothing for pain. She won't sleep at night! Keeps putting blankets and rugs in a pile but doen't lay on them and she is moving around constantly.......none of us can sleep and I have a high stress job and need some sleep........is there anything over the counter that I can give her at night to help her get comfortable and rest??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Jazmine and she is 13...........she has also gotten very picky about her food and she has never been a picky eater...I think it's also to do with the pain..........she is not yelping or crying and she lets me rub her leg and i've been putting a cold wash rag on it in the afternoon and evening that has been in the freezer for a few minutes and she will lay still for that........she is also panting a lot......could that be from the antibiotic or prednisone or pain??

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jazmine?

I can't think of anything else right now..........except she did have some dental work done about 3 weeks ago and that's when the limping started.......it was kind of off and on at first but in the last week is has gotten worse and then the swelling we found on thursday and we went to the vet on Friday

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
8/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, my name is***** and I am happy to help you.

It sounds like the enrofloxacin and prednisone is not helping, that would work if it was an infection or inflammation. Due to her age, I would be concerned about cancer of the bone. She needs to get an x-ray done to be able to look at the bones.

You can try giving her Benedryl, she would need 1mg per pound so if she weighs 12 lbs, that would be a half of a 25mg tablet.

The panting is most likely due to pain but prednisone can cause them to pant. I'm glad you are cold compressing her leg, that is perfect.

I think it is time for more diagnostics. If you do go and get x-rays, take photos of them and you can send them to me.

Well..since it took over a day to answer my question...this did not help me at all. I have taken her to another vet and they took stays and did blood work...there is no cancer....its a soft tissue wound and we are continuing with antibiotic and prednisone and the added a pain pill...so your advise is incorrect and too late!!!
I'm sorry you feel that way, I did not know that you did x-rays. With any online advice service when I cannot see the patient, I cannot diagnose any condition but offer advice. I hope Jazmine feels better soon.
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian