Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well, about 10 days ago our little italian greyhound was hit…

Well, about 10 days...

Well, about 10 days ago our little italian greyhound was hit by a car - she spent a night in the hospital, but has been healing well relatively this morning, she got under my feet going down the stairs and she got squashed rather firmly and now her tummy seems to be getting a little red, like a bruise in the isolated area from the incident this morning is it likely she is just bruising, would internal bleeding look different? she eats and drinks and moves aorund slowly, but alright

8/15/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about this little one. Since being stepped on, she has been eating and drinking well? Is she breathing normally?

to both, increasingly her energy is coming back up too-bowel movements good, urine looks good
Hello?

That is great that her energy is coming back. I've seen a lot of little dogs at my ER that have accidentally been stepped on. Usually the biggest issue with this is a fracture from the trauma. Internal injuries can happen, but they aren't the normal. If she's eating and drinking well, then it would seem not as likely that other injuries inside are present. Internal bleeding doesn't show as bruising on the skin. The blood is inside the abdomen and doesn't make it to the skin. If she continues to eat and drink well, breath normally and continue to improve -then it would seem that being stepped on wasn't a significant injury. Honestly, the hit by car should be way more traumatic based on odds.

Thanks very much!

No problem. I'm hoping for the best for her!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I don't know if a follow up is possible, but I forgot to ask about one thing and it is a little more noticeable today; there seems to be sime swelling on the side of her chest most injured - as if a little "sac" is hanging looser than her other skin...Is that just common swelling/inflammation or even blood going to the area or is that concerning?
She's still improving energetically, eating and drinking and breathing just fine

Hey there. That is good that she's still improving energetically and with her eating and drinking too! Also great she's breathing fine. That area of the swelling, that could be due to some edema at that location. Sometimes they can have some swelling due to that area being injured. If it was to be getting bigger, bruised or she wasn't continuing to improve with time - then it would seem to be more concerning.