Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our local vet has told us that lucy is allergic to Chicken,

hence the "blood from her...
Our local vet has told us that lucy is allergic to Chicken, hence the "blood from her ear", and the spots on her body. She doesn't seem to be scratching either her ear or her belly. We don't give her chicken any more for ?? 6 months. We have just noticed that a lot of dog food that says it's beef or buffalo always seems to have chicken fat, or other items added, so for the last several weeks we've been cooking for our 3 dogs, although Lucy is the only one so afflicted. That seems be blood scattered on her ear, and we saw traces of blood on her paw but no definite laceration.
I have attached 6 pictures to aid your review. Thanks. Santon Craig.
IMG_1527.JPGIMG_1527.JPGIMG_1529.JPGIMG_1529.JPGIMG_1530.JPGIMG_1530.JPGIMG_1531.JPGIMG_1531.JPGIMG_1532.JPGIMG_1532.JPGIMG_1533.JPGIMG_1533.JPG
8/14/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Good morning,

Now if her local vet tested her for allergies and she was found sensitive to chicken that could trigger skin issues for her. Though if you are seeing these 6 months after totally excluding all chicken from her diet, other allergens (food proteins, but also pollens or products used in the home would be a concern). Especially as the belly lesions look like spots of dermatitis with hyperpigmentation (the darkening). Though given their distribution, I'd have to say that I cannot rule out ticks but also would be suspicious of a degree of bacterial infection alongside the allergy suspicion. As for the ear, blood usually is from self-trauma with irritation (and it can linger even after the skin heals because dogs don't tend to clean out their ears).

With this all in mind, if removing chicken from her diet alone wasn't enough, its worth symptomatically treating her. For the allergy concern, you could consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if her signs are severe, her vet could start her with Apoquel, Atopica, Cytopoint or even a low dose of steroids to help settle any allergy lurking.

For the spots of inflammation on her belly and her ear, you could also topically treat these areas. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Of course, for inside the ear further then where we are looking, salt water is best as its safe to go into the canal. Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a tshirt on her to cover her belly +/- ecollar to protect the ear to see if we can get these healed and settled for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian