Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a nice gash on top of his paw. The bleeding has…

My dog has a...

My dog has a nice gash on top of his paw. The bleeding has stopped I applied some anitbacterial cream and bandage around the paw so he would stop licking it. He does whine a little when walking around and is not putting much pressure on it. Just wondering if there is anything else I should do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No I'm pretty sure he got his paw caught on a sharp piece of metal in his kennel

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/13/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about your dog having a gash. Good for you for cleaning and bandaging it.

I would change the bandage daily and keep applying Neosporin. If it starts to look puffy or he won't put any weight on it, he may need to see your veterinarian for some antibiotics in case it is infected, or some pain medication.

You could try aspirin for pain; how much does he weigh?

75 yellow lab
I actually already gave him some
Just one I went by his weight

A dog his size could take 1 regular aspirin once to twice daily (325 mg) with food. If it makes him vomit do not repeat it.

Let me know what other questions you have and if this is helpful.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard from you. How is he doing?

Was my answer helpful? Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

He's moving around, the gash seems to be healing , still limping put he's putting pressure on it

That is good it is showing signs of healing already. Putting a little weight on it is also a good sign.

Please let me know how he is doing. Kindly consider rating my answer; that is the only way the website credits me for my answering your questions! Thanks for the update.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

No prob, I'll continue to let you how he's doing, also he lets me touch it and the only thing I was worrying about is it being like fractures but it doesn't even seem swollen

If it were fractured, he would probably not be putting any weight on it at all.

Ok thanks I'll continue to let you know

You are welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I'm taking him to the vet Tom his paw has got a little swollen so I'm taking precaution , hes still limping around too

That sounds like the best thing to do. Please let me know how he is doing.

No infection , got antibiotics he's good to go thanks for your help

You are welcome; thanks for the update.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian