Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How do I potty train a baby yorkie? She's stubborn!! I take

How do I potty train...
How do I potty train a baby yorkie ? She's stubborn!! I take her out every hour !!! She's peed 1 time for my hubby !!
8/13/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello again,

Thanks for requesting me although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you did.

Housebreaking can be quite a challenge especially for the smaller dogs and especially if they're already a little older, like she is. I can understand how frustrating this problem can be although similar to potty training in young children, pups also housebreak at different rates.

And, when it comes to housebreaking, you really have to catch them in the act and immediately take them to their “spot”....whether this is outside or on pee pads (which many owners of small dogs use).

Some breeds are much easier to housebreak than others and the smaller breeds are ones that seem to take longer to teach, for whatever reason.

My suggestions to facilitate this process include (although you may already be doing many of these things);

1. Selection of a designated area outside or use of papers/pee pads inside.

2. Use of oral praise and tasty treats when she eliminates.

3. Pups are not allowed out of your sight until you can trust them. This means use of a crate, in most cases, as their safe place when you have other things you have to do.

4. As soon as you start to see her becoming restless or not engaged with you,she should be taken to her designated area.

5. You can’t punish her unless you catch her in the act. Everyone has their own methods but I usually suggest a very firm “no” and them immediately take her where you want her to go.

6. Remove access to water around 6-7 pm if she's urinating overnight. And if you use a crate, don't have water available in the crate either.

In most cases, with time and patience, most pups will become housebroken although having said that, I might have a urinalysis checked (if not already done) to rule out any issues with her bladder.

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian