Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

About 3 hours ago our sweet Boo took off across a busy

Hi. About 3 hours...

Hi. About 3 hours ago our sweet Boo took off across a busy street after a dog. Very uncommon. But she was hit by a pick up truck. I was sure she would be dead! But she ran back to me. I put her in our car intending to find an open vet but she seemed ok, was able to get in car by herself. Later, started favoring right wrist joint. Has urinated for us, Is very sleepy and maybe that's shock? Eyes normal, gums normal.Granddaughter treated wrist with ice pack. Could she have a concussion and, if so, what to do about that? thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Boo and she is almost 4.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boo?

She responds to her name by lifting her ears and has wagged her tail a little. Oh, and she did drink water. We gave her an aspirin in case of pain. She is a Golden Retriever/Aussie Mix.

8/13/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Boo.

She sounds to have gotten very lucky here if she was able to get up and move normally post car accident. Though I am quite concerned to hear that you gave Aspirin. While it is fine for small injuries it is very much contraindicated for severe ones. This is because its also a blood thinner and if she has any internal bleeding or bleeding in the brain (concussion it could make her situation worse. So, you need to keep a very close eye on her. If those gums pale at all, she needs to be seen as an emergency. Otherwise, give no more Aspirin and if she is sore once the adrenaline wears off, then she needs to be seen by her local vet to dispense dog safe pain relief that won't put her at risk. And I'd note that besides monitoring, those strong dog specific anti-inflammatories are important here as they can reduce brain swelling with concussion if present. As well, if she is shocky, IV fluids would be indicated as well. So, we do need to tread with care for Boo to help her recover from this accident.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Thank you! Boo is going great! Thank you for your care and advice.
Holly Beth

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

I am so glad to hear that she is doing well. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.