Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is house trained but lately he has been peeing in one

My dog is house...
My dog is house trained but lately he has been peeing in one room
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: My dog is house trained but lately he has been peeing in one room
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He's not hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruno 2 yrs
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bruno
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?
Customer: No
8/13/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated. Since it is so late, I'll ikely be signing off soon but will answer in the morning.

What breed is Bruno?

Is the room carpeted?

If not, what is the flooring in that room?

What are you cleaning it up with and how?

Is he drinking more?

Is he urinating more?

Does it have a stronger odor than is usual?

Bruno is a shepherd mix. The room that he is urinating in is carpeted. I've been using a rug shampooer. No he is not drinking any more
water than usual and he is not urinating more. Since he usually does his business outside, I really can't tell if his urine has a stronger odor.

While it is possible that a urinary tract infection is present, he doesn't seem to have the symptoms. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. If he starts to display 2 or more symptoms then you will need to have him seen.

tt does sound like it might be strictly behavioral. Male dogs tend to mature and test their owners leadership around 18 months of age. They will often ignore commands or obey when they feel like it. Sometimes they will start urinating in the house which is called marking. It indicates that they "own" the area. If he isnt' neutered that can sometimes help the situation.

The first step is to totally remove the odor. However, sometimes using a carpet shampooer can actually set the odor into the padding of the carpet. I'm hoping that isn't the case here? You need to get a good enzymatic pet odor remover. That needs to be put on the place where he has urinated and let soak down into the carpet. When urine sits it moves down to the subflooring and spreads out. The cleaner needs to do the same so it can reach all the urine to break down the protein that causes the odor. Most regular cleaners can fool the human nose, but the dog's nose is much more sensitive and can still smell the urine.

Dogs tend to go back to the areas where their scent is fading to urinate again and strengthen their scent. Thus ineffective cleaning can actually draw a dog back to a spot to urinate rather than stop the behavior. So the first step is cleaning thoroughly. The second is to rehouse train him. If you did the initial house training, follow that same method. If you didn't train him yourself, I'd suggest crate training. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out.

Obedience training will help as well since the leader of boss owns everything so if he sees you as the boss, you own the house not him and e will be less likely to mark inside the house. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

You can also leash him to you when he is inside and you are not sleeping. That way if you notice him start to lift his leg you can give a short tug to break his concentration and stop his behavior and a firm low toned NO so he understands it is unacceptable behavior.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner