Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Wow I wish I had known about this site sooner Tuesday night…

Wow I wish I...

Wow I wish I had known about this site sooner Tuesday night his head was tilted to the left and he started to walk in circles, Wednesday we ended up taking him to the vet he walked out the door on Wednesday night sorry Wednesday morning*

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

He went to the vet they did blood work, he was over all fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Blood work was fine Turkey, 14 years old and he does have seizures which is being treated with medication phenobarbitol and

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Turkey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Turkey?

I haven't checked his paws but i will he now is unable to walk but does have strength, his head is tilted to the left and if you try to put him on his right side he tries to reposition himself to the left head is cocked to the left and he only wants to lay on his left side he is eating and drinking very well

8/12/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Turkey.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is laying down and houling and barking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he shakes his head on occasion, some painting

If his primary symptoms are a head tilt and circling to the left, then there are likely to be only a few possible explanations:

1. Inner or middle ear infection. Sometimes these patients will be a little unbalanced but not always.

Diagnosis is with an MRI or CT scan.
Treatment is antibiotics.
Most of these dogs will recover very well although some will have a mild head tilt.

2. Unfortunately a brain mass can cause these symptoms. It would also take advanced imaging to diagnose this condition. While brain masses tend to be slow growing and benign, they are, after all, space occupying lesions in the brain and typically located in areas which make surgery impractical.

I'll often dispense antibiotics for my patients who present like this even without a specific diagnosis with the hopes that they'll respond to antibiotics. If they have #1, then they usually show improvement within a few days or a possibly a week. However, if this is #2, they won't.

Then, I might consider non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or sometimes even steroids which can sometimes be of benefit since there's often secondary inflammation present.

If this is a brain mass depending on how quickly it enlarges, then other symptoms may develop such as personality changes, disinterest in food, balance issues, etc. At this point, most owners elect to humanely euthanize their pets, unfortunately.

Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are currently giving him prednisone and have been since thursday, 1.25 of the prednisone 2x per day and ClavaMox 62.5 ml 1x per day
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since Thursday afternoon. his ear doesn't have a smell or any puss but could there still be an infection that we cannot detect?

Good to hear that he's already taking medication; it sounds as if your vet and I are on the same page.

Inner or middle ear infections aren't detectable without advanced imaging. They are quite different from an outer ear infection which might produce an odor or discharge.

Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would an ear infection cause him to not be able to walk? his eyes are darting back and forth slightly, so he must be dizzy but he is eating and drinking

Inner and middle ear infections can affect the vestibular system which, in turn, can affect balance.

If his eyes were oscillating back and forth initially (which wasn't mentioned), then I'd add Old Dog Idiopathic Vestibular Syndrome to the list. These dog's will eventually improve on their own although it may take several weeks to be completely normal. But, significant improvement is seen within 3 days.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he hasn't shown signs of improvement.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
his eyes aren't darting back and forth as bad as they were, but he still is not able to walk

he hasn't shown signs of improvement. Then this isn't likely to be Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome, unfortunately. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also his left eye is very bloodshot any idea what this may be?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe because he has been only sleeping on the left side for 3 days?

I don't have a good explanation for what might be going on with his eye...not in the context of his circling and head tilt.

Unfortunately, I have to step away from my computer to help a neighbor who has health issues; my apologies for the inconvenience. If you have additional questions about this situation, I'll log back on in a few hours and can address them at that time.

In the meantime, I'll be wishing Turkey the best.

Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you doctor deb

You're more than welcome. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is still dizzy and leaning to the left

I can't say that I'm surprised since he's not shown any improvement thus far:(

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
He started to have a small seizure after we spoke. I had taken him outside and it is very hot here right now(we are in miami) and I tried to cool him down when we came in the house by rubbing him down with a wet cloth. He then fell asleep and while he was sleeping started to bite the air and didn't stop for at least 15-20 minutes. He suffered from a grand mal seizure in October or 2016 and hadn't been the same ever since. I did start to medicate him with phenobarbital which I think kept him alive until now.
The seizure started while he was sleeping and he still was unable to walk at all on Sunday night. So I decided it was time, even though now I regret making the decision. The pain of putting him down is horrible and I debate with myself whether he would have recovered had I given him more time.
From Wednesday (where he was walking) to Sunday (he started to not be able to walk on Thursday) he was not showing much sign of improvement. How long does it take for them to recover from the vestibular?

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that Turkey declined in such a short period of time; you must be absolutely heartbroken:(

There's no doubt in my mind that a brain mass was responsible for his vestibular symptoms and for the seizure that he had a few days ago..and likely the one he had back in October (since brain masses tend to be slow growing). Your decision, while an extremely difficult one to make, was the right choice under the circumstances.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family, Deb

Thank you for your kind words. Hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life. He was my first dog and was my best friend for 14 years.

I know that there's going to be a huge hole in your heart for a long time to come but I hope you'll be able to find comfort in the memory of Turkey's great spirit and of your loving bond. And wiith time, I hope those tears of sadness will become tears of joy as you remember your life together.

With kindest regards, Deb

Thank you very much <3

My thoughts are with you and your family at this incredibly sad time:(

No need to respond back, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian