Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have noticed eye discharge, red eyes, lot's of water

Customer Question
Hi I have noticed...

Hi I have noticed eye discharge, red eyes, lot's of water drinking in the last couple of days. 9yr blueheeler cross.????

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Deffa and she is De sex 9-10 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Deffa

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not sure

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any changes to the eyeball (clouding/hazing, appearing larger then usual, etc) or the pink conjunctiva around the eyes?

Any new products (sprays, cleaners, powders, etc) being used at home?

Is she passing more urine? Is it watery or dilute?

Any change to her appetite, stools, or weight?

Hello, I have only noticed in the last 3-5 days. She has started drinking a lot more water than usual, being very restless, a yellow discharge from eyes and red around the pupil. Nothing has change at home my husband is retired and I am full time carer.
No change in diet, stools. Unable to tell about the urine?

Hello again,

Now I have to say that Deffa's signs don't suggest one issue. We can often see bacterial conjunctivitis arise when dogs are generally unwell and their immune system weakened and I do suspect that is why we are seeing yellow eye discharge along with the redness/inflammation. Though if the redness is inside the eye around the pupil that could also mean changes within the eye (ie uveitis or a bleed inside the eye). So, we do need to keep an eye on this and for the moment can flush her eyes with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. If it persists, then we'd want her local vet to check her eyes for internal changes and to start antibiotic eye drops for her.

Otherwise what is more of a concern is her increased thirst. It can be seen with warmer weather or inflammatory issue (often infections in the body cavities as opposed to the eyes though), but at Deffa's age we'd be more worried she may be drinking excessively due to organ issues (ie heart, liver, kidney disease), metabolic disease (ie diabetes, Cushing's disease, etc) or we can even see cancers that can cause a spike in thirst. Sometimes bladder issues will cause this as well, but if you aren't sure about her urinations those are harder to determine.

With this in mind, we' need to keep a close eye on how much she is drinking and make a point to see if she is passing large or small or watery urinations over the weekend. If she is or this continues and the weather isn't overly warm, then we'd want to have her vet check her on Monday with a view to having a blood sample taken. That way we can assess her for the above worries and if any are present, then can start treatment for the one found. Of course, they can dispense eye drops at the same time.

Overall, we do need to be careful with Deffa's signs. As long as the eyes don't look bulging (as glaucoma is an emergency for dogs just as it is with people), we can try the above to soothe them and monitor her generally. But if these signs linger then we'd want a check since we do have a few issues to be wary of for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**