Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yellow Lab Female, 13 YO. DX: Laryngeal Paralysis and

Yellow Lab Female, 13 YO. DX...
Yellow Lab Female, 13 YO.
DX: Laryngeal Paralysis and Arthritis
Meds: 3-6 enteric coated Baby Aspirin, daily.Q: At her age, any med or pulmonary Treatment other than Tie-back procedure you would suggest that might help the LP? and med suggestion for inflammation/ joint pain or "old age" syndrome? Keep hearing same meds mentioned, but do not want to compromise her liver and need for LFTs... yuk. What are we gaining then? Am I doing same with 3-6 Aspirin a day perhaps that is toxic?
Thanks,
N&M in Seattle :)
8/12/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if surgery isn't an option then anti-inflammatory treatment tends to be the only option for cases like this. Common options are Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, and Rimadyl which you may have heard of. And while I understand your concern about organ health with these, please know that they work similarly to Aspirin. So, the Aspirin carries the same risk but actually is not as strong and thus of less benefit. So, if Mia's signs are not managed on that (or we want to be able to use a lesser dose with more effect), it would be much better to switch to a low dose of one of the above for her. Of course, you can have her vet check baseline bloods to look at liver and kidney function and those can be monitored over time to make sure they aren't stressed by the drugs. And that would be ideal since that way we can find a middle ground where we can avoid any organ stress but also manage her LP signs and reduce her age related joint pain likely at a lesser risk then with the Aspirin she is already on.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Great. Thx