Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a boxer that got in a fight with my other boxer. He…

I have a boxer...

I have a boxer that got in a fight with my other boxer. He has a laceration on his front leg. I've kept it covered and have been rinsing it with peroxide. I also Sulfodene 3-Way ointment on it while covered. It's been itchy and it still hasn't healed very well. I'm afraid I made it worse by keeping it moist with the Sulfodene ointment.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Boxer bleeding a lot?

No, the bleeding stopped.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the Boxer's name and age?

Joey - 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Boxer's name?

Joey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joey?

It has an odor and I'm letting it air out for a bit then plan to wrap it back up but no ointment.

8/8/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation. What is this guy's name? How long ago was the fight? Can you take a picture of it?
His name is Joey. I'll take a pic and send it, that's probably the easiest.
You can attach it here with the paper clip icon.
I'm not very tech sav either. Good job. How long ago did the bite happen?
A week ago today.
I was curious as they look older. What may be best is letting them air out like you have said. The best way to do this and to not let him lick it would be to leave them open and use an E collar to prevent licking. Sometimes these wounds just need to be allowed to dry out and to quiet down. I wouldn't wrap it or feel that placing any ointment on it is going to be very helpful at this time.
Yeah, he has the "cone of shame on", he is wanting to lick it constantly. Unfortunately it's becoming a common occurrence for our dogs to fight so we have a cone from when his eye was scratched before.
I was thinking about letting it dry out and then dry wrapping it, I've been using gauze and then vet wrap over it. I'm worried about germs getting in it.
The cone of shame and letting it be open would be most likely best as far as at home. Wrapping it doesn't let it dry as much and that again may be best. I would be curious to see what it looked like after 12 hours of this.
I will do that. Thank you so much for your help. I just couldn't see spending another $200 at the vet for them to tell me what I was pretty sure I needed to do.
Hopefully this quiets down here in the next few days. Not letting him lick it is going to be the big part of it also healing.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?