Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My daughters 9 year old yorkie poo mix this morning was

Customer Question
My daughters 9 year...

My daughters 9 year old yorkie poo mix this morning was shaking with a rapid resp rate and excessive drooling. she took him outside. he seemed to have trouble walking, and he did pee, but no bowel movement and no vomiting. he doesnt seem to want to eat or drink and now seems better, but tired and still drooling. she can't afford a vet at this time. he has been healthy and is current on all shots. what could this be and what should she do? thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Yorkie?

No he has been a very healthy guy

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

Has he had any signs of vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, no vomiting or diarrhea
His bowel movements were dark green a couple days ago, but were healthy yesterday
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

Have you seen any blood or mucus in his stool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

Any diet change recently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He usually gets the chicken option of his food, but currently is eating the beef option
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

That could cause a gastric upset. The signs you have seen this morning with the drooling and the trouble walking, along with the discolored feces could be signs of abdominal discomfort.

If he is licking his lips and drooling, then giving ranitidine (zantac) as an antacid can help settle his stomach a little. If you can give me an idea of his weight I can recommend a suitable dose.

Offering him a light diet for the next few days can also help - plain boiled chicken and rice, scrambled egg or light cottage cheese are all easy to digest and can help take the strain off his digestive system.

Is he walking better now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He weights 8 lbs
And he's napping right now, but his overall behavior normalized a bit after we came inside from our walk
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 1 year ago

An 8lb dog should receive ~8mg of ranitidine 2-3x daily. you may find it easiest to dose him with the syrup formulation.

I suspect he may have had stomach cramps/abdominal discomfort which can ease once they have gotten moving a little.

Back pain/muscular sprains can also present like this but the signs are likely to be more persistent.

I would advise the ranitidine and light diet for a few days, if he is doing well, you can gradually re-introduce his normal food from there (but maybe go back to his original flavor).

If he is having further episodes or he develops any other signs of struggling to walk, vomiting etc, then I would recommend having him checked over by your vet.