Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a dry cough sounds like weezing also she's about 11…

Customer Question
She has a dry...

She has a dry cough sounds like weezing also she's about 11 yrs old not sure I'm watching her her owner is incarcerated ok she coughs every 10-15 min for a long while nonstop then she gags and white film foam comes out she licks it up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

This has been goin on for about 5 days these lastwo days she's increased coughing like every 10-15 min for a long time then stops I gave her home once already is there aNethang else

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She's Labrador &pitbull mixed she can barely see she's well trained

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I read on Google to give her HONNEY so I gave her HONNEY will that help out
Her name is missy
8/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Is she bright in herself, eating well?

She has been yes but it's just that cough that worry's me it's so dry n grasy that it almost sounds like she has no air
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

I`m afraid I am unable to offer a live phone call from the UK, but I am happy to continue here. if you would prefer, I can opt out and one of the other vets may be able to offer this service?

Ok so can u helpme out she sounds hoarse dry like it takes all the air out of her it has me worried
Can somebody helpme out here plz if I take her to the,24hour vet what will it cost me for the visit
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

If you give me a moment to type my response

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

The signs you are describing sound typical of kennel cough. This is often a viral condition which can come on suddenly and dramatically. Owners often thing the dog has something stuck in their throat as they have these hacking, coughing fits.

If she is bright in herself, eating well then it is likely of no particular concern. What often causes significant issues in these cases are secondary bacterial infections, older dogs may be more prone to this.

In this situation, with her being an older girlie, it may be wise to have her checked over by your vet as she may benefit from antibiotics to help prevent secondary bacterial infections. It would also be wise to have her heart checked as the beginnings of heart problems in older dogs can present in a very similar way.

In a relatively healthy, fit dog, kennel cough itself should be self limiting and the signs should pass within a week or so, however with an older dog I always recommend getting them checked over, to make sure we are not missing anything.

do I need to take her to get checked out which has me real worried since she's old in all can you more or less tellme how much it would COST$ to take her to an emergency vet.rtenow SO THAT SHE CAN BE SEEN IMMEDIATELY
How much would it cost to have her seen -CheckOut By a 24(hr) Vetenarian
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Emergency vets fees do tend to be quite high. I cannot give you an exact price as I am in the uk, however you are likely to be charged $150-200 to be seen as an emergency. If you call your local ER i`m sure they will be able to give you an accurate idea of their fees.

I do have RIMADYL 100mgChewable ,I did give her half of a pill kinda looks like chewable vitamins Will that help her at all with the coughing&,I'm assuming some kinda Pain she s feeling will she be okay
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Rimadyl may help reduce the inflammation in her airways and help if she has a sore throat. If it is just a case of kennel cough she should be fine, but I cannot be certain this is all that is going on without a clinical exam.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling