Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate 6 chocolate cupcakes, DAISY 40 POUND LAB about 4…

Customer Question
My dog ate 6...

My dog ate 6 chocolate cupcakes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

DAISY 40 POUND LAB about 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Daisy

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please let me know asap
8/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and I would like to assist you.

I suggest we induce vomiting if it has been within two hours. We can do this by feeding a slice of bread and then admister 1 teaspoon full of 3% hydrogen peroxide to the back of the throat per 10 pounds of body weight. Jostly the stomach and jog the dog. Daisy should vomit within 15 mins. If she does not repeat the process one more time. Since we do not know the amount of cocoa and chocolate used, this is a precautionary measure. The key is to get the stomach aggitated to get it up. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for a 40 pound dog we would give her 4 tsp hydrogen peroxide?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I dilute it with water?

Yes that is coorect or one tablespoon and one teaspoon full. No Not diluted. Straight and to the back of the throat. It is an irriatant to the stomach and that is what we want to get the vomiting.

Joan

How are we doing with getting Daisy to vomit? Any luck? Jog her and jostle her stomach. We want her stomach irritated enough to vomit up the cupcakes.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked our Med cabinet and we don't have any hydrogen peroxide. She seems to be comfortably resting. Do you think I need to take her out to the vet. It's 11:45 at night here.

If she is comfortable, I would let her rest. Monitor her for Vomiting, Disrrhea, abdominal pain, Tremors, and excessive drinking. If any of those seem to occur, them an ER Vet visit will be needed. If she is ok through the night I would have her checked in the morning. I was not only concerned about the chocolate but also pancreatitis, with the richness of the cupcakes.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service poaitive. As a Suggestion I would keep a fresh bottle of Peroxide in the house for the future. We use it many time for toxicity as well as counter surfers who eat what they are not suppossed to eat.

Joan

How is Daisy this morning? I hope she is doing well. I wanted to check in on her and make sure all was ok. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service positve.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jav917