Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Mopping, less appetite and wanting to hide behind furniture.

Customer Question
Mopping, less appetite and...

Mopping, less appetite and wanting to hide behind furniture. 10 month old Border Collie/Labradoodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Border Collie's name?

Shasta

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shasta?

She has been boarded overnight last weekend. Also about 3 months ago she vomited a couple of times and had some diarrhea and it seemed to make her a less hyperactive dog ever since.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?

Any coughing?

NO

Have you witnessed any vomiting or diarrhea recently?

Did she have any diagnostics when she was suffering from a GI upset 3 months ago?

nothing recent. Nothing from past episode. I was just one day of vomiting/diarrhea and then resolved itself.

Reading your history, it sounds like Shasta has not been 100% since the onset of symptoms 3 months ago. Given her age, I am concerned that she may have an underlying condition that may also be tied in to today's symptoms of being lethargic, hiding and having a decrease in her appetite. This could be anything from intestinal parasites/protozoan to a congenital disorder such as liver shunt. I would highly recommend a vet visit and diagnostics, for this reason.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home that should help to improve her appetite and stimulate her appetite.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If you elect home treatment and she does not improve or she worsens, I would plan to have her examined and treated by your vet. Diagnostics to consider should be at least bloodwork and a fecal analysis when she's examined.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Shasta?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse