Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My husbands dog ate Lilly of the Valley bulbs and we were

Customer Question

Hi my husbands dog ate Lilly of the Valley bulbs and we were wondering if she will be okay . My name is ***** ***** the dogs name is***** .
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: my name is ***** ***** my husbands dog Jenny Lynn ate about 6 Lilly of the Valley bulbs . She will not eat her supper witch is odd for her .
JA: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** she is 2 1/2 years old .
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about JENNY?
Customer: She always eats her food like crazy .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How minutes or hours ago } ?

2. How much does Jenny weigh { In pounds } ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Jenny weighs about 70 lbs. She ate the Lilly of the Valley Bulbs sometime during the time that we were out . for about 4 hours .

Hello again Debbie,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This could be a problem, the whole plant has toxic levels of cardiac glycosides, but the bulbs are the most dangerous part of the plant, these can cause serious life-threatening symptoms within hours of consumption.

2. Given the above and given the time scale between now and possible ingestion the best plan is to take Jenny to an ER vet without delay. It may be too late for you to induce vomiting yourself.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Jenny's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Jenny is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Lilly of the Valley bulbs issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott