PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He seems to be in pain wfen we move himJA: I'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

He seems to be in pain wfen we move him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Havanese
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: He is havanese lap dog
JA: What is the Havanese's name and age?
Customer: 5 years
JA: What is the Havanese's name?
Customer: Flap jack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Havanese?
Customer: Healthy otherwise had pancreatis three years ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had no response to me
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me what symptoms you're seeing? Is Flapjack painful when he's moving? Did he suffer any trauma?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is yelling when you touch him randoly

Is he willing to walk still?

Any dragging of limbs?

Did he suffering any trauma?

Is he still willing to take stairs and play?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As far as i know he has not had any trauma it started today
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he can walk , i don't fell any limbs but i can't touch him

As you may well know, small breed dogs are prone to a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/ This is often the cause when dogs spontaneously begin acting painful and are unwilling to be handled by their owners. I would highly recommend an examination and treatment for Flap Jack at your local ER overnight. If this cannot happen, a visit to your vet tomorrow morning would be ideal.

Your vet will likely recommend x-rays to check his neck and back and will place him on a canine-safe NSAID and muscle relaxers, as well as pain meds like tramadol. Strict kennel rest will be recommended for a few days to a few weeks based on his condition and if it worsens they may recommend more diagnostics or referral to a specialist.

If you have to wait, the best approach is going to be strict kennel rest with no risk of jumping or falling. He can be taken outside to potty but should be lifted gently to go outside and placed gently into the grass. No playtime. A harness will be more ideal over a collar and leash, at this point, as well.

If he is not on any pain medication, you can give aspirin in a pinch. Please see the following link for info about dosing and risks: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Flap Jack doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy