Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My male dog ate 100 mg of Zoloft tablet about 10 min, Buddy

Customer Question

My male dog ate 100 mg of Zoloft tablet about 10 min
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy about 4 years old he is about 60 lbs.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No he is in perfect health
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh ok.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Zoloft is actually used in Veterinary medicine for behavioural disorders and such, but typically at a maximum dose of 3mg per kg of the dog's bodyweight.

2. Buddy weighs 27.2 kg so his maximum dose would be 81.6 mg, so 100 mg is a bit of an overdose.

3. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

4. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include some degree of sedation and incoordination.

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Buddy's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The link is not working. How can I get him to throw up

Sorry about the link ....

A commonly used way to induce vomiting in the dog is with 3% hydrogen peroxide { Not hair colouring peroxide } A usual oral dose is one teaspoon { 5 ml } per 10 pounds of body weight. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes but if no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the process a second time.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The medicine is for my son. I just found out that it was his clonidine 0.1
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will this kill the a dog of 40 or smaller

Please stand by and I will check ...

Better Clonidine than the Zoloft ...

You see again Clonidine is a medication that we do sometimes use in dogs for anxiety disorders and such, but the dose of this medication in dogs is about 0.1 mg for dogs that are less then 20 pounds. Therefore I do not think that this dose is going to be toxic or harmful to your heavier dog at all.

Given the above there are no special measures you need take, your dog should be just fine.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help I have a 10 pound Chihuahua. Could this hurt him if he was the one that took it. My son is not sure. Both dogs were eating when he dropped his pill

It could make a 10 pound Chihuahua a little bit more lethargic than normal for a few hours, but I would not expect to see anything worse than that.

The best thing to do is just to keep a good eye on both dogs for now ....

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much. These are my babies and couldn't locate a vet close to me.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will thank you.

.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Buddy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Zoloft issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?