Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Smelly even if we shampoo her. 7 years old. Gracie, Not

Customer Question
Smelly butt even if...

Smelly butt even if we shampoo her butt. 7 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Gracie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?

Not really.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a et tech for 35+ years. I am sorry Graie is having this problem.

Have you seen her dragging her rear end?

Does she have any problems passing stool?

Have you ever had her glands expressed?

Joan

She hasn't any of the above problems and it doesn't smell like fish. And she scratches a lot.
No thank you.

Thank you! Smelliness from the anal are is generally the Anal glands. There are interior as well as exterior gland. When there is a smell we always suggest to have the glands expressed to rule that out as a problem. The anal glands are what lubricate the stool when passing.

THe first thing I would do is add two spoon fulls of Pure canned Pumpkin to the diet this will aid with the stools passing through the thanal glands. I would also have the dog into the Vet to express both inner and outter anal glands. To see if resolves the problem. If that does not do it, I would speak tp the Vet about a possible Yeast infection in the area. Yeast infections can also give off an oder but would need to be addressed by the Vet with a test for a yeast infection.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech