Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Smelly even if we shampoo her. 7 years old. Gracie, Not

Customer Question

Smelly butt even if we shampoo her butt. 7 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: Not really.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a et tech for 35+ years. I am sorry Graie is having this problem.

Have you seen her dragging her rear end?

Does she have any problems passing stool?

Have you ever had her glands expressed?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She hasn't any of the above problems and it doesn't smell like fish. And she scratches a lot.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thank you.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you! Smelliness from the anal are is generally the Anal glands. There are interior as well as exterior gland. When there is a smell we always suggest to have the glands expressed to rule that out as a problem. The anal glands are what lubricate the stool when passing.

THe first thing I would do is add two spoon fulls of Pure canned Pumpkin to the diet this will aid with the stools passing through the thanal glands. I would also have the dog into the Vet to express both inner and outter anal glands. To see if resolves the problem. If that does not do it, I would speak tp the Vet about a possible Yeast infection in the area. Yeast infections can also give off an oder but would need to be addressed by the Vet with a test for a yeast infection.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan