Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 20-lb Pomeranian with suddenly crusty ear edges…

Customer Question
We have a 20-lb Pomeranian...
We have a 20-lb Pomeranian with suddenly crusty ear edges (indoor dog, so not fly strike). Also licking spots on both front paws, and has a small mouth sore on one side.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

When did this begin?

How old is your companion?

Davey is 5 yrs old. We have never seen this before and he didn't get much test yesterday . ( neither did I. ) he is twitching both ears and shaking his head. I washed with hydrogen peroxide, then put triple antibiotic ointment before bed. Because we have two other dogs who might lick off the ointment, we brought Davey to bed with us. He woke me up with his paw at 3:00 am as if to say he was sooo uncomfortable please help me mom. At 3:00am I put R7 ear mite treatment inside his ears, got excess out with cotton balls and then applies more triple antibiotic ointment with pain relief on the exterior rim of his ears. He is still shaking his head constantly . I feel bad for him.

Do you also have pictures of the areas he's licking and the sore near his mouth?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian