Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Sophie threw up 3 times in 3 days so we took her to vet and

Customer Question

Sophie threw up 3 times in 3 days so we took her to vet and she was dehydrated and they said her stomach was enlarged. They gave her liquid under the skin and medicine to prevent nausea for 24 hours. We are now 48 hours from when this took place. We are now concerned because normally she poo poos twice a day. She had one stool Saturday and had one Sunday morning. She is not drinking as much water as she normally does. Should we be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: We gave her some steak Thursday which she had never had. Sophie is a 7 month old Shih Tzu.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Shih Tzu?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am sorry to hear that Sophie has had so much going on the past few days. It can be normal for her to have less stool after vomiting for several reasons. There is less food going through so less to process and defecate out and there can be a delayed motility of the gut after vomiting that may take 2-3 days to return

As a precaution
- Begin adding water to her meals to encourage moisture in her stools and therefore regularity to her defecation
- Get her out on walks 15+ minutes two to three times daily which really does help motility, nausea and abdominal cramping. Not running around but leash walks

This should help encourage regularity within 24-48 hours and if there is still a delay or reduced stool production then a return visit to your veterinarian is warranted

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope that my suggestions helped in getting Sophie more comfortable

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do not contact me again. I sent you an email saying your website was misleading and I do not want to do business with you.