Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My standard poodle ate pistacio shells about 20 hours ago.

Customer Question
My standard poodle ate...

My standard poodle ate pistacio shells about 20 hours ago. She just threw up some.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your standard poodle will be able to digest that. What is the standard poodle's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 3 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Journey?

She has seemed fine all day, and now sleeping after she threw up.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Do i need to take her to the vet? How dangerous is this potentially?
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry that Journey is vomiting. I definitely am concerned enough to advise a veterinary er in order to take abdominal x-rays and assess the level of concern for an obstruction with her vomiting the shells 20 hours after ingestion. Typically the stomach empties in 1-2 hours and the fact that there is some still in there at this length of time makes me pause in determining if she has an obstruction

So I would not wait until morning and have her seen tonight as a precaution with an abdominal x-ray which should help rule in/ out the risks of an obstruction and begin appropriate therapy to get her healthy once again

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If she were to poop, would that mean she's ok? She has just played ball in the yard and seems ok

It would be a positive but it doesn't indicate there still isn't a risk of obstruction. You can certainly monitor her for a few more hours but please don't feed which increases risk of further vomiting and intestinal motility which if there is an obstruction, may lead to a perforation

Sounds like I better just take her in now.
If I wait, what exactly am I waiting for?

For peace of mind and to ensure this is not an obstruction it would be my recommendation if she were mine...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

So sorry your second respond just came through

To see if there is any change, vomiting recurs, restlessness, abdominal swelling, increased lethargy and also as you say whether there is a bowel movement

Primary reasons for a Veterinary ER

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Journey to see how she was doing after our chat a few days ago? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian