Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Sunken right eye, 2 vet visits, and to an eye specialist,

Hi! Sunken right eye, 2...
Hi! Sunken right eye, 2 vet visits, and to an eye specialist, nothing working with drops and meds. Now side of head and socket above eye seem to be shrinking. Considering new eye specialist or back to vet to look at other issues other than eye?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tucker, mixed breed, approx. 8 yrs old. Lab/greyhound mix, about 60 pds.
JA: What is the Greyhound's name?
Customer: Tucker
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: Eating normally, but looks like it hurts to yawn.
This started about 5 weeks ago, early July. Started with watery eye, and third eyelid sliding up. First vet visit, we got steroids, tear drops, etc. After about 8 days, with no improvement, went back to vet.
Tried antibiotics, and other drops, getting all info from vet tomorrow.
After about 4-5 days with no improvement, went to eye specialist. Tear duct was full of gook, she removed it, no issues with retina or optical nerve.
Last meds we were given: Gentmicin Sulfate Opth Sol, eye drops every 6 hours.Neopolygram Opthalmic Solution 10m - every 6 hoursCarprofen 100 mg tabs - 1/2 every 12 hours
Tacrolimus.02% / Ophthalmic Solution 10ml (in coconut oil) - One in both eyes every 12 hours.This went on for 10 daysNo improvement, now there is sinking on the right side of his face and in the socket above his right eye.
8/6/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Sorry to hear about the challenges you are having with Tucker. Did your veterinarian discuss seeing a neurologist.

No
Also, hello! :)

Okay based on what you are describing on what is going on with Tucker's eye it seems like he has Horner's syndrome. This is usually caused by some type of neurological issue which could be affecting one of the facial nerves. It does not sound like based on your description a primary eye issue. You probably want to either see a neurologist or a veterinary internal medicine specialist to address this issue.

I will read about Horners Syndrome.
Is it curable?Aren't all licensed vets internal medicine specialists?Which would you recommend getting right to, the neurologist?

Since Horner's syndrome is just a symptom, whether it is curable or not depends on the cause of it. If it is caused by some inflammation then treatment of the inflammation may help. But if it is caused by a tumor or some type of mass then it may be more challenging or difficult to treat. Licensed veterinarians are just General practitioners. Internal medicine specialists have additional training and are board certified. What I would recommend is if possible that you go to a place that has multiple specialists at the location. An ideal place would be a veterinary school if you live near one. Otherwise you should go to the internal medicine specialist first.

OK, got it.
I appreciate your help.
This site is great, I just came upon it and read the reviews.

No problem. let me know if you have any further questions regarding Tucker .

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Have a good day

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you! Happy to rate w/ 5 stars

Thank you I appreciate the rating :)

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian