Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her excrement is loose and yellow what does it mean? You Her…

Customer Question
Her excrement is loose...

Her excrement is loose and yellow what does it mean?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

You

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She is 13 and has arthritis.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

She is having a little more trouble with her walking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes there isn't.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Biscuit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She is diabetic and we test her sugar twice a day at least and give her 2 shots of Petsulin a day

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Biscuit today and to hear that your dog has loose yellow stools

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

The yellow color is concerning because it can indicate an issue with the liver and/ or gall bladder so at her age I would encourage having her evaluated sooner rather than later. In addition the walking issue maybe related to weakness not necessarily from her diabetes but from malnutrition not getting her nutrients with the diarrhea and simply being tired from the gi upset

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian